Partner | Corporate
Peter A. Broadhurst is a senior attorney and has been practicing law for fifty years, twenty-six of which have been in the Cayman Islands. He has a broad range of expertise in the areas of corporate finance and securities, investment funds, mergers and acquisitions, real estate financing and development and financial restructuring & insolvency. Peter’s commercial practice is diverse and has included public and private securities transactions, fund formation, banking, public and private company acquisitions and corporate restructurings. Peter has also appeared before all levels of court in the Cayman Islands, on matters that include successfully challenging hedge fund managers on behalf of onshore investors, resolving creditor/debtor disputes and settling claims on behalf of some of the world’s largest banks.
Peter is the founding partner of Broadhurst LLC. Prior to relocating to the Cayman Islands, Peter had a successful securities and corporate finance practice in Toronto, Canada, where he was lead counsel on numerous securities offerings. He was lead counsel in the acquisition of the control block of a publicly listed natural resource company on the TSX and coordinated a NASDAQ listing together with multiple related offerings. Peter has acted as a director to both public and private companies in various jurisdictions.
- Represented onshore promoters in the structuring and formation of various hedge funds.
- Represented fund managers in connection with migrating hedge funds from other offshore jurisdictions to the Cayman Islands.
- Represented major creditors as well as the insolvency committee in high profile liquidations.
- Represented numerous real estate-backed limited partnerships in Canada, including on a number of public offerings for projects in Ontario, Alberta, Dallas, Texas and Phoenix, Arizona.
- Represented a Cayman Islands telecommunications and internet company in connection with various transactions including the divestiture of cable assets and the $80 million dollar acquisition of the parent company of a cable television service provider.
- Represented a publicly listed Bermuda based company providing voice, broadband, and cable television services in its $90 million dollar sale of a controlling interest to a NASDAQ listed public company.
- Represents a number of major businesses in the Cayman Islands and serves as an officer and director for several of these companies.
Education, Professional Achievements and Community Activities
Peter is a graduate of Queen’s University, Canada, Arts and the University of Toronto, Law. Peter was called to the Bar of the Province of Ontario as a Barrister and Solicitor in 1971 and was admitted to practice as an Attorney-at-Law in the Cayman Islands in 1988 where he has practiced exclusively since 1994. He is a past member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association, a Council Member of the Law Society of the Cayman Islands, a member of the Executive Council of the Company Managers Association of the Cayman Islands, a former Trustee of the Cayman Islands Chamber of Commerce Pension Fund, a former Council Member of the Cayman Islands Chamber of Commerce, a former director and officer of the Rotary Club of Grand Cayman, former Deputy Chairman of the Cayman Islands Immigration Appeals Tribunal and a present Deputy Chairman of the Planning Appeals Tribunal for the Cayman Islands. He is a Notary Public for the Province of Ontario and the Cayman Islands.